Carpathian Mountains and Castles - self-guided walk
8 days / 7 nights
Transylvania - Independent walking
Self-guided - Families - Singles - Luggage transfer
This 8 days Self Guided Walking Tour is the best way for you to truly experience most authentically the Romanian Country Life! Piatra Craiului and Bucegi are some of the most popular and appreciated Romanian mountains. In Piatra Craiului, you will discover rare flora and fauna and at the feet of the Bucegi Mountains, you will see lovely pastures, and altogether spectacular landscapes amongst perched sheepfolds and medieval fortresses.
Telescopic hiking poles are recommended!
Your day by day program
Our agent will meet you in Bucharest city centre or at Bucharest North Train Station, to give you your documents (road book, maps etc.). The trip therefore starts at Bucharest North Station (or at Bucharest OTP Airport, changing trains at Bucharest North) with a train Bucharest - Brasov (2:45 hours), followed by a private transfer to Magura (1:00 hour). There are several train options depending on the arrival flight and if the clients want to stop in Brasov to visit this beautiful medieval city, but the main option is Bucuresti Nord 15:15 – Brasov 17:37 followed by the private transfer to Magura. Dinner and accommodation in Magura. (D)
Walk in Piatra Craiului (“King’s Stone”) mountains to the authentic mountain hut of Curmatura. Breath-taking views of the mountain ridge and the valley around the hut. The clients can enjoy the host’s unique recipe, special lunch, local soup and a delicious pie! On the way back to the guesthouse, the clients will cross the mesmerizing Zarnesti gorges with 200m high vertical walls (around 5h, 13km, +800m, -800m). (B,L,D). Possibility for an extension.
Today’s walk goes on a small ridge leading to Bran castle. This castle was built in the 14th century and had a role of defence against the migratory people. Later it protected Transylvania from the Ottoman invasions. The castle was also associated with the fictional character of Dracula, who was based on Vlad Tepes, Prince of Wallachia. Private transfer to the same guesthouse the night before, (around 4.5h, 12km, +300m, -600m). (B,L,D)
Trek in the National Park of Piatra Craiului taking in pastures, sheepfolds, woods and scattered villages. The customers will cross traditional villages where time seems to have stopped, and they will end the day in a beautiful and traditional mountain village. (around 5.5h, 16km, +/-750m or shorter option available: around 5h, 14km, +/-600m). (B,L,D)
This morning the route leaves Piatra Craiului Mountains, with an easy walk with picture perfect landscapes through lovely villages sheltering small and olden houses, at the foot of Bucegi Mountains. The locals are livestock breeders, therefore the village has a long standing tradition of cheese making. (around 4h, 13 km, +250m, -350m). (B,L,D). Possibility for a longer walk.
Trek towards the Bucegi massif. A long hike that you will not forget: impressive landscapes and sights of the impressive Strunga Wall, crossing two passes, the Strunga and the Strungulita and passing by a mountain shelter upon the former Transylvanian – Wallachian border (around 6h, 18km, +900m, -900m). (B,L,D)
The hike continues in Bucegi Mountains, going up to Gutanu Clearing with excellent views towards the dramatic cliffs above. Starting with June, you can encounter shepherds alongside their flocks, and even ask to taste the cheese they prepare themselves. Take your time and enjoy these remarkable landscapes (around 6h, 18km, +750m, -850m). (B,L,D)
Note: if you do this trip late April or beginning of May, in some of the years, the snow could melt late. In this case we will replace it with a transfer to Brasov and overnight in Brasov (small extra cost if you want an upgraded hotel). Same for October if the snow arrives earlier.
Private transfer from Simon to Brasov and then travel by train to Bucharest. End of the journey. (B)
Every day from April to October, subject to availability of accommodation, response within 48 hours, from Monday to Friday.
- Bucharest North train station / Bucharest OTP Airport train station.
- Bucharest North train station / Bucharest OTP Airport train station.
- 7 night in lovely guesthouses, in double rooms with showers and toilets (except for 1 night with shared facilities).
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 8 days / 6 days of walking. Medium level of walking with a maximum day at 6 h.
- The transfers of your luggage is provided. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- Single supplement per person (price per person, for min. 2 travelers) : 120€
- Departure at 1 person (only for very experienced hikers) : 190€
- Private transfer: Bucharest airport to the train station or center, for 3 people (45 min)
- Private transfer from Bucharest OTP Airport to Magura: price per service one way (base 1-3 pax). : 150€
- Private transfer Bucharest OTP Airport - Magura (van, 4-6 persons, one way). : 230€
- Private transfer Bucharest OTP Airport - Brasov (van, 4-6 persons, one way). : 220€
- Private transfer from Bucharest city centre to Magura: price per service one way (base 1-3 pax). : 170€
- Private transfer from Simon to Bucharest OTP Airport: price per service one way (base 1-3 pax). : 150€
- Private transfer from Simon to Bucharest city centre: price per service one way (base 1-3 pax). : 170€
- Private transfer Brasov - Magura (1-3 persons) / service / one way. : 40€
- Extra night in Bucharest, 3* hotel, price per Double room, B&B. : 78€
- Extra night in Bucharest, 3* hotel, price per Single Room, B&B. : 66€
- Extra night in Brasov, 3* hotel, price per Double room, B&B. : 82€
- Extra night in Brasov, 3* hotel, price per Single Room, B&B. : 71€
- 7 breakfasts, 6 picnics, 7 dinners
- All accommodations
- D1 and D8 transfers by train
- Baggage transfer
- The guidebook
- Hiking maps
- Assistance always reachable
- Welcome and briefing
- Transport to the starting point and from the final point (Bucharest North Train Station)
- The insurance
- The drinks, other than water
- Personal expenses
- Site visits
Hello Romania Active,
I want to thank you for the tour.
It was great and very well organised with good maps and directions.
The guesthouses, although not a 5* hotels, were nice and clean with good food.
I will definitely consider you for my future travels.
Thank you once again.
Dear Rulaka, thank you and your team so much for the wonderful tour and the fantastic organisation of it! So again thank you for the wonderful time we‘ve had and still have! Best regards from Birgit and Astrid and Johannes and Markus
On behalf of my quartet of walkers I just want to thank you and Adina for a wonderful hiking holiday! The only major problem was that it was too short and didn't finish back at Magura, our favourite place!
We thought you might value some feedback and a few suggestions from us so here goes.
The transfers were on time. The booklet of instructions was great and we didn't get lost! We feel it should have a map of the whole area we're walking in (I know you gave us the big map) and also a bit of a history of the area and names of the villages we walk through. The other thing we found (and we're not that unfit) was that the timings were unrealistic. Most days, especially day 2 we took at least 25% more time. I guess we were taking photos and smelling the roses and chatting to people we met.
Finally, Paul's Casa Dobre is terrific. (We had the bathroom with the amazing view.) He's a great cook and host and the guest house is lovely. Maria's food was sensational as were Daniela's award winning cabbage rolls!
I am in Dubai on my way home to Melbourne and can't wait to come back to explore some more of your wonderful country.
All the very best to you and Adina,
PS Keep in touch with any new walking holidays!
Thank you for this wonderful and seamless experience. Everything was very well organized and coordinated. Raluca Maria kindly welcomed us a Bucharest with all the necessary information to enjoy our hike, and was very helpful at the end of our holidays.
The transfers four ourselves and our luggage were simply perfect.
The trip was fantastic: the walks were great, the accommodation excellent, the people friendly and your organization outstanding. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Self-guided bike & wine in Romania
Walachia - Leisure cycling - Road cycling - E-bike tours - Cycling short trips - Selg-guided cycling - 3 days / 2 nights
Carpathian Mountains and unspoiled villages
Transylvania - Independent walking - 5 days / 4 nights
The Carpathian Mountains, villages and castles - guided version
Transylvania - Guided walking - 8 days / 7 nights
Villages of Bucovina and Maramures
Transylvania - Moldavia Bukovina - Maramures - Guided walking - 9 days / 8 nights