Transylvania is a hilly area surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains that always knew how to protect its mysteries. Your trip will take you in this bastion loaded with history (where Romanians, Hungarians and Saxons live together) on the route of the Saxon citadels, registered as UNESCO world heritage sites. As one of the unforgettable spots of this civilization, the city of Sibiu (Hermannstadt), founded by Saxons, was elected European capital of culture in 2007.
You will also discover the villages perched on the trays of the Carpathian Mountains which have kept until our days a pastoral life in perfect harmony with the wild nature of the surroundings. This walk & drive tour will give you the possibility to have a vision of the whole Transylvania and to truly discover this fascinating world during the hikes.
Your day by day program
You will meet our Romanian Active in Bucharest for them to hand you your travel documents. You will get your rental car and begin your journey towards the City of the Crown, beautiful Brasov. Depending on your arrival time you could have a stop to see the romantic Castle of Peles, a dreamy architectural jewel which served as a holiday home for the Romanian Monarchs. You will spend the evening in a traditional guesthouse, in a heavenly mountain village. Dinner included.
Today you will pack up and have a short transfer with your rented car (15m) to a mountain landmark. From here on, you will have a beautiful trek in the Piatra Craiului Mountains (" the Prince’s Stone" in Romanian). Passing by the 200m high vertical walls of the Zarnesti gorges which are very beautifully coloured, you will head to the Curmatura hut, a traditional mountain hut where you will enjoy a tasty lunch. You will continue your circling trek back to where you left your car head to your next accommodation in another lovely Romanian village at the base of the Bucegi mountains. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included. (around 5 h, +/- 650m)
Today after breakfast you will enjoy a splendid hike into the Bucegi Mountains through secular forests and an amazing scenery. A longer walk is possible along the meadow of Gutanu and the vertical walls of the Bucegi’s ridge, who will offer you beautiful landscape and view over Piatra Craiului ridge. Make sure to have your camera ready as there will be plenty of use for it today! Breakfast, lunch and dinner included. If you would like to replace your trekking with a cultural visit you also have the option to visit the famous Bran castles as well as a lovely fortified citadel nearby. (around 6h, 18 km, +650m, -900 or a shorter one, around 4h30)
Today you take the car to visit one of the most beautiful preserved medieval citadels of Europe, Sighisoara. On your way, according to your preference you could stop to visit the infamous Dracula’s castle as well as the beautiful medieval citadel of Rasnov. Once you finished you will continue towards one of Transylvania’s traditional "pearls" - Viscri’s fortified church - which has just celebrated its 700th anniversary - and its lovely authentic village. You will spend the end of the day in the medieval city of Sighisoara. Every tower of the citadel was managed by a guild of craftsmen. The tower of the dressmakers is a real masterpiece of medieval architecture. Night in a charming 3-star hotel in the centre of the citadel. Breakfast and lunch included.
Today you will leave Sighisoara to visit Sibiu, which was chosen to be the European capital of culture in 2007. This town is representative for the Transylvanian Saxon culture. On your way you will stop to see a splendid fortified church, home to many legends and a rich cultural heritage. You will spend the evening in a charming guesthouse in a traditional Transylvanian village. Breakfast and dinner included.
This morning you can continue the visit of Sibiu, then, go to the traditional villages of the region. Once you finished you will have two options according to the time of the year when you planned your holiday. Up until June, you will go to visit the beautiful ruins of a Cistercian church at the base of Romania’s highest mountains, then continue on to see the country’s oldest still working wool mill and then the country’s still working water mill. You will spend the evening in Brasov, in a central époque 2* hotel. Breakfast, lunch included. If you are traveling in high season, instead of taking the itinerary mentioned above, after leaving Sibiu, you will have a splendid walk up in the Fagaras mountains. You will spend the evening in a traditional mountain cabin up in the Fagaras mountains. (1h30m walk). Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
If you have done the first option, today you will visit the beautiful city of Brasov and enjoy a walk on the city’s little mountain so you can have a wonderful panoramic perspective to end your holiday on before continuing on to Bucharest. If you chose the second option, you will drive on Romania’s most impressing mountain road, the Transfagarasan. Be prepared to be amazed by this road’s grandeur. You will spend the evening in a lovely central 3* hotel in Bucharest.
Today after breakfast you will give back your car and your holiday with us will have finished.
All year, subject to availability of accommodation, response within 48 hours, Monday to Friday.
- Bucharest airport or train station.
- Bucharest airport or train station.
- - Double occupancy with private facilities.
- 1 night in Magura in a traditional guesthouse
- 2 nights in Moieciu in a traditional guesthouse
- 1 night in Sighisoara in a charming 3* hotel inside the citadel
- 1 night in Sibiel in a traditional guesthouse
- 1 night in Balea or Brasov (According to the season) either a traditional mountain cabin or a 2* central époque hotel in Brasov
- 1 night in Bucharest in a 3* central hotel
OR equivalent boarding house/hotel nearby.
Exceptionally, there are shared facilities.
- Minimum of 2 people.
- Requires a medium fitness level. Maximum of 5h walking a day. 3 days of hiking.
- You will take your own baggage in the rented car.
- Car rental type Renault Logan. Rental price for the duration of the stay, the transfer in the weekend or out of hours for taking over and deposition, the insurance, and the washing included. (fuel at your expense)
- Car rental Toyota Corolla type. Rental price for the duration of the stay, the transfer in the weekend or out of hours for taking over and deposition, the insurance, and the washing included. (fuel at your expense)
- Single supplement : 115€
- Extra night 2* central hotel, Brasov single room : : 38€
- Extra night 2* central hotel, Brasov double room : 50€
- Extra night 3* central Hotel in Bucharest single room : 60€
- Extra night 3* central Hotel in Bucharest double room : 70€
- Extra night 4* central hotel Bucharest single room : 65€
- Extra night 4* central hotel Bucharest double room : 80€
- Technical description of the itinerary, map with itinerary traced out, contact listing, technical sheet, and vouchers. Our Road Book includes restaurants, museums, craftsmen, ATM addresses and a 24-hour emergency phone number.
- Meals ( 7 breakfasts, 4 picnics (plus 1 more on day 7- if you stay in Balea mountain cabin if the weather allows) and 4 dinners (plus an additional one if you stay in Balea mountain cabin on day 6). Dinner: 3-course menu with several choices - entrée, main dish, and a dessert. Occasionally dinner is a 2-course meal.
- Rental vehicle - possible through us
- Drinks and meals not mentioned
- Cultural visits and optional activities
- Personal expenses & souvenirs
- Air Transport
Mysteries of the Carpathian Mountains and Saxon citadels of Transylvania
Transylvania - Independent walking - Multi-activities - Car Tours - Culture & gastronomy - 8 days / 7 nights