This cycling trip in Transylvania is the perfect opportunity for you to discover the mysterious and spectacular land made famous through Bram Stocker’s legend of Dracula. Surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains, Transylvania was the desired land. It is because of its richness that the Saxons arrived here in the 11th century and guarded the Carpathian Mountains passes against the Tatars and the Ottomans. But this is just a tiny portion of its incredibly rich heritage which you'll be discovering during this magical trip. An exceptional adventure is waiting for you!
Your day by day program
On your first day, you will be welcomed by us in Bucharest Northern Train Station before 2 PM. You will then board the train to Brasov (approx. 3h) and once you arrive you will have a Private Transfer to Bucium, a splendid mountain village at the foot of the wonderful Fagaras range.
Accommodation and dinner at your guesthouse.
Today you will cycle at the foot of the Fagaras mountains over Bucium river. You will go through the beautiful village of Lisa where you will discover a 100 years old functional machine used for tailoring thick woollen blankets. Next, you will visit the Sambata de Sus (Higher Saturday) region to see its impressive Brancovenesc monastery from 1696. After that, the trip will take you further to the village of Dragus where you will explore its ethnographic museum which has many insights regarding the local traditions and culture. Later on, you will cross the Victoria town and you will arrive in the traditional village of Carta, where you will be impressed by the ruins of its Cistercian monastery. Hopefully, you will be able to meet the local pastor who will delight your imagination with his interesting stories. Accommodation and dinner at a traditional stone mill guest house in Carta village.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner, ~60 km, +300m, -450m.
Here we recommend you extra-nights in Carta to make the most of your stay:
1. The first one is for the visit of Sibiu, one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Romania. Also worth knowing that Sibiu was chosen « the cultural capital of Europe in 2007 ». This beautiful place was developed by the Saxons on the remains of a Roman village and it became the residence of the Austrian government in Transylvania. Nowadays Sibiu impresses with its small streets, picturesque courtyards and the ancient rock stairs which create a most romantic atmosphere.
2. The second suggested option is for letting you discover the Transfagaras road by bike, which is a 100 km long wonder which crosses the Carpathian Mountains, being the highest bitumen coated road of Romania at just under 2000 m altitude. More details below
Today's itinerary takes you straight through Transylvania towards the beautiful village of Biertan which is home to a wonderful fortified church filled with history. Being such a stunning monument, the church was included on the Unesco World Heritage list since 1993. You will continue your adventure along pristine country roads where you'll enjoy the pastoral sights. You can also make a little detour on the way to see another beautiful fortified church in Richis. Dinner and accommodation in Biertan village.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner, ~65 km, +600m, -650m
Today you will discover one of Transylvania's pearls. You will be cycling to Sighisoara, one of the few last medieval citadels in Europe. This amazing city is fully habited and is also part of the UNESCO World Heritage list. Discover its wonderful old town, home to a stunning clock tower (initially purposed as the main entrance to the citadel), interesting covered stairs, colourful medieval streets as well as the house where Vlad Dracul (Dracula's father) was born. On your way, you can make a small detour to Dumbraveni, another lovely town with an important Armenian Catholic Church proof of our glorious past. Accommodation in a charming 3* central hotel. Dinner not included.
Breakfast, packed lunch, ~40 km, +380m, -400m
After your breakfast, according to your schedule, you can still have a few hours to visit enchanting Sighisoara or board the train to Bucharest (5-6 h depending on which train you choose). End of the trip once you reach Bucharest.
Every day from April to October, subject to availability of accommodation, response within 48 hours, from Monday to Friday.
Departures for groups formed on request
- Bucharest North train station.
- Bucharest North train station.
- Double occupancy:
- 1 night in 3* small central hotel in Sighisoara (D4)
- 3 nights in guesthouses, exceptionally shared facilities
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 5 days of which 3 of cycling. Medium level (from 35 to 66 Km / day, with some climbs).
- Luggage will be transferred from one guest-house to the other.
- Rental Arcade Hybrid Bikes, V-brake (21-speed trigger, equipped Shimano, double rims, aluminum frame, luggage carrier, 1 rear bag, repair kit, antitheft) Not included: saddlebags, gloves, counter, helmets. We can provide you with helmets, but we advise you to bring your personal helmets. : 55€
- Rental Trek Hybrid Bikes with front suspensions, disc brakes and bottle holder (21-speed trigger, Shimano equipped, double rims, aluminium frame, luggage compartment, 1 rear bag, repair kit, antitheft lock) Not included: saddlebags, gloves, counter, helmets. We can provide you with helmets, but we advise you to bring your personal helmets. : 65€
- Extra-night in Carta, guesthouse, 1/2 board, (price per person, based on minimum 2 participants) + train tickets to Sibiu and back (around 1h15 per section). - for visiting Sibiu : 45€
- Extra night in Carta, guest house, half board (price per person, based on minimum 2 participants) + bus in the morning to Lake Balea (2050m) + bike rental. - to ride on the Transfagarasan road available only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from the end of June, only available according to the snow: 75€
- Extra night in Brasov 3*, central, double based : 70€
- Extra night in Bucharest, 3* central hotel (double based) : 70€
- Single supplement : 65€
- Rental rear panniers : 10€
- GPS tracks on USB stick : 25€
- Meals (4 breakfasts, 3 picnics and 3 dinners)
- Luggage transfer
- 24h/24 local assistance available
- Bike rental
- Drinks other than water
- Items of personal nature
- Transfer to the meeting point and from the drop off point Insurances and personal expenses.